Monday 7 March 2022

Billy Summers . Stephen King

 Billy Summers is a crime novel written by American author Stephen King, published by Scribner on August 3, 2021. Wikipedia


I am a HUGE fan of Stephen King, Having scared myself reading Pan Horror stories as a 12 year old I was hooked into the horror genre and read James Herbert and Stephen King books as fast as I could get a copy from the local library.

Fortunately Stephen King does a lot more than horror and  as I have grown from a pre-teen to present day his writing style has evolved in to a broad range of styles and genres. I would not like to go so far as to say I am his number one fan as I would not like to be compared to Annie Wilkes from Misery. Indeed there are books of his that I have not read and some that I have not enjoyed. But I digress- let's get on with doing what this blog is meant to be about which is reviewing the book.

**NOTE No spoilers will be given in any reviews as I'm not a reader who flicks to the back of the book to see where it ends. I appreciate that many people do this, but for those who don't want spoilers please rest assured that you will not find any here**

Billy Summers is an assassin. An assassin with a conscience.

Now that sounds like an oxymoron. It is an oxymoron. I am the sort of reader who has to feel something for the characters in a book otherwise what's the point of the time invested. So an assassin, with a conscience. How will that work? Is it even possible?  

Billy Summers is a fast paced story that keeps you guessing right until the closing sentences. Stephen King's characters are multi dimensional and totally credible. At times Mr King can wax lyrical for pages ( even chapters ...The Stand, Under the Dome could have been A LOT shorter) but in the case of Billy Summers each word, each sentence, each chapter work together to tell a story.  The genre given is crime but that's over simplified the complexities of this work.  It is a lot more than a crime story.

I have seen reviews where the author has been accused of misogynistic opinions but I felt these were uunfounded. Some of the characters certainly had unsavoury opinions but that makes for a more realistic portrayal of a 21st century world. Some of the characters are likeable, some are not. Some are contensious, Some not. 

What was great about this work- the characters, their interactions, the journey you are taken on alongside Billy Summers. The author makes his political views known throughout the story so if you're not in agreement this book will definitely annoy you ! But I didn't mind the not-so-subtle pokes at the president of the time.

What was not great- I read this book earlier this year and there is not one thing that I could criticise There are some VERY hard parts to read where violence of a sexual nature is detailed, but it is integral to the story.

I laughed out loud, I shouted , I felt rage ( As mentioned in my previous post I mostly listen to audio books at the moment on my daily commute) I shed tears, I even dreamt about the characters. This book worked its way under my skin . For me it would sit  alongside The Green Mile, Misery, The Institute as being one of his greatest works. I'm hopeful that it would be made into a film or even a series ( as long as the story isn't changed beyond all recognition like the TV series Under the Dome) . Billy Summers tells his story through his cover story of being an author whilst he waits to be called to take action. Who better than to write about an author than a master of the craft. 

As I said at the start, I am a fan , but if you've never read a Stephen King book before make this your first one. Well written and gripping- I sat  in the car on many occasions unable to switch off and listened whilst at home and out and about as I needed to know what was coming next. Don't be put off if you're not a horror story fan- he's moved on a long way from that. If you like a book that tells a story with lots of character interaction then I'd say you would enjoy this. 

I did. It's a 10 from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment