Sunday 27 March 2022

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue VE Shwab

 

READ THIS BOOK!

This fantasy novel tells  the life of Addie LaRue . Addie lives with her family and is due to marry a man she does not love. But in the 18th century a young  woman does not have a voice, or a choice. She has to follow the path chosen by her parents. In desperation she makes a pact with the devil.

 A free life is her wish- and it is granted but of course there is a price to pay. Addie LaRue becomes immortal but no one can remember her, no one can say her name. She cannot say who she is, or leave a mark. And so, the story begins.

 This book (another that I listened to) takes the reader/listener on an intricate journey through over 300 years of  artists, wars, love, loss, ecstasy and despair.   

It definitely makes my list of favourite reads. The story twists and turns as Addie learns to live in a world where no one can say her name and no one can remember her. Time and time again she is given the opportunity to surrender her soul and have peace, but she refuses to give in and strives to find ways to outwit the devil.  Addie finds that although she can not be remembered, ideas can  and this gives her the strength to continue century after century. Everything is thrown into confusion though when Henry DOES remember her. How could this happen after so many years?  

 I was gripped from the start. If you enjoyed Matt Haig's Time , this book would appeal to you.  Strong characters  and beautifully described settings. Perhaps it will be made into a film...  


Having read some scathing reviews of this book which critised the lack of diversity / missed historical opportunities, I'd just like to add that I read to be entertained. As a full time teacher , my free time is precious and for me , reading is my relaxation, my chilling time. I do like to read a variety of genres, but particularly with this book it met my need to have a story to be immersed in. For me this book is one to revisit,to tell people about because it's a fantastic story told authentically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment