Tuesday 30 August 2011

100 words for grown ups week 8

Here is this week's entry for the 100 word challenge. I have thoroughly enjoyed doing these over the summer; having a prompt really helps to give a focus. Hope that they continue everynow and again during the term when the children's one restarts. Hopefully I will be more sympathetic as a teacher when one of my class is struggling to get started. Most of my entries have been unrelated (and random too!) but I have returned to Kit for this one.

The letter


Kit tossed and turned. The letter which had arrived the previous morning consumed her mind and would not allow her the escape of sleep. Trying not to wake Nigel: ever loyal, ever dependable, ever so boring , she slipped out of the bedroom and tiptoed downstairs. She re-read the letter, each word bringing back memories she’d tried so hard to forget. “... time to move on...forget the past...too late...” She let the letter fall and the tears that she’d been fighting finally came. Upstairs, the alarm went off.
 “Kit?”
She picked up the letter and headed for the stairs.

9 comments:

  1. Anna, you've done it again! This is a fantastic piece of writing that leaves so many questions begging to be answered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I need to know the rest of the story! This so good. I loved 'the escape of sleep'. I do hope you will be able to keep up with the challenges. Your writing needs to be shared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. It's really hard compacting thoughts into 100 words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These lines 'consumed her mind', 'tears that she’d been fighting' and 'escape of sleep' scream to me that Kits a desperate woman trapped in a stale, maybe loveless, marriage tempted by ... a lost love? Whose now widowed or divorced but still interested, yet noble (hence letter trying to end it, but it makes him even more attractive!). Of course, she's torn by loyalty and desire. Am I close? Great story, well written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments Ventahl; fascinating to hear the reader's view. Not close at all; but it does lend itself to that train of thought. Angst and regret yes...for a past that she threw away. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha Ha Ha! Totally Wrong! :] Well, it probably says more about my dark mind than it ever does about Kit's actual predicament. Be interested in how your novel progresses ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back to work this week so will, indeed, be interesting to see how (and if ) I can keep up the efforts at this story; have lots of ideas but all random and disconnected at the moment. :S

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please tell me the rest of the story? This is excellent. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Susan; I may well try to keep adding to the story; have lots of random ideas so it is all down to whether or not I can make them intelligible!

    ReplyDelete